Monday, March 23, 2009

Bad Grandma Blogging

I will start by saying thank you for your kind comments in response to my perception of the NY Times article and thank you to my daughter for setting up a venue so that I can vent, opine and occasionally be a thorn in her side. I do not intend my musings to become an adjunct to Catherine's because, on many levels, we view the world with very different lenses. While I am flattered that she has directed you here (to the blog that she set up for me - I have absolutely no technical expertise whatsoever), I would almost rather she invited the mothers of her friends and readers (your mothers!) here.

When I read her blog discussing the challenges of being a mother and the complexities of balancing everything else in life that makes us who we are and who we want to be, I am transported back in time, and then, I am right back to now because NOTHING HAS CHANGED! Except that there is the added challenge of being a grandmother.

Oh, for sure, my challenges are a little different:
- I have added trying to defy the laws of gravity to my list.
- My tan line is now a deep V
- Mammograms no longer hurt
- It is difficult to see myself as a beautiful goddess through bifocals.

I will add to the list in another post.

I will share some of MY mother stories.

And... I will give grandmas hints on teaching their grandchildren habits that will drive their children crazy. (So maybe, dear readers of Catherine's blog, you shouldn't read mine!)

13 comments:

  1. Just forwarded to my mother.

    She's gonna love the piece about jogging to the store for wine after declining to babysit!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm already one of the grandmas - but I enjoy Catherine's blog, as well as Amy Storch's (amalah.com).

    Aren't grandkids fun? I had a great time teaching mine to stick their thumbs in their ears, waggle their fingers, and stick out their tongues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just posted something on my own blog about the fact that mammograms were no longer any problem since my boobs are so deflated. I'm 56, but still going through the last of the mom times, with two teenagers just about to leave high school behind. I'm glad you're blogging as women in our 'age group' are certainly lacking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my mother's missions is to teach Gigi every annoying habit in the book so I will send her your way. Together you can make sure Catherine and I are always on our toes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I shall send my mother your way as well.

    (However, I may remain here, reading sneakily in order to have a heads up on the annoying habits. That is, if you don't mind.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I just flew in on my broom. Well actually my daughter Veronica sent me a link to your blog. I will immediately confess to never having read your Daughter's blog and I might nip over and have a quick read if I get the time, But I am much much more interested in reading your blog.
    Grandmothers of the world unite and giggle at their children and secretly give their grandchildren stickers and a gazillion other lovely things.. cheers Kim :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Indeed, grandmas of the world should unite. I am a grama blogger; two years into it now. You can find me at http://themsmysentiments.blogspot.com/. You can also find me at Canada Moms Blog, courtesy of Catharine inviting me to that forum, and follow the link back.
    I really like what you have posted so far, especially the photo of the terrorizing pidgeon. I hope you keep it coming. The world needs us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a fan of your daughter, and I am a grandmother. I am so happy to see you here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh it's good to see someone else that can say:

    Oh, for sure, my challenges are a little different:
    - I have added trying to defy the laws of gravity to my list.
    - My tan line is now a deep V
    - Mammograms no longer hurt
    - It is difficult to see myself as a beautiful goddess through bifocals.

    On the other hand, it's bad that I'm saying those things at 45 and you're...how old? Nevermind, forget I asked. ;) Regardless, I think both myself AND my mother have plenty to relate to from both you AND your daughter. Glad to see you come on board!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OOOOOHHH!!! I love it! You're "You know youre a bad Grandma when..." are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's nice to know that there will come a day when a mammogram no longer hurts, my mom has yet to share that little jewel with me!

    Oh, and I'll send her your way. I think you and she would get along mighty fine. *wink* But I hope you don't mind if I drop in from time to time too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Me too - also a Grandma!!! Kim at 'frogpondsrock' sent me your link! Yay - more Grandma's to share thoughts etc! Had to smile at the 'guilt' thing it's amazing isn't how your children can do that - no matter how old they are!!! Mine are 36,34 and 22!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Like Margalita, I'm 56, but unlike her, I still find mammograms painful as my boobs are not deflated. In fact I've just had to buy new bras with bigger cup sizes! I haven't put on any extra weight in 3 years (haven't lost any either), yet my boobs are now a D cup where before I used to be a B. WTF?? I'm a grandma too (hi frogponds, veronica..)but I don't blog.

    ReplyDelete